Sunday, May 26 2013 12:05 AM EDT2013-05-26 04:05:39 GMT
(WMC-TV) - The Memphis Grizzlies lost to the San Antonio Spurs Saturday in game 3 104 - 93. The Grizzlies play at home again Monday at FedExForum. Spurs lead the Western Conference Finals 3-0. CopyrightMore >>
The San Antonio Spurs used overtime for the second straight game to edge the Grizzlies 104-93, to take a commanding 3-0 lead in the Western Conference Finals.More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 11:49 PM EDT2013-05-26 03:49:21 GMT
(WMC-TV) - People nationwide gathered in downtown Memphis Saturday for a basketball game, music, and to enjoy to spirit of Beale Street. A street party outside FedExForum to celebrate game three of theMore >>
People nationwide gathered in downtown Memphis Saturday for a basketball game, music, and to enjoy to spirit of Beale Street. More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 11:07 PM EDT2013-05-26 03:07:08 GMT
WALNUT RIDGE, AR (KAIT) - The Walnut Ridge community celebrated the life of 14-year-old Sidney Randall who went missing on March 9 and was found on May 18 in the Black River. Family and friends filledMore >>
The Walnut Ridge community celebrated the life of 14-year-old Sidney Randall who went missing on March 9 and was found on May 18 in the Black River.More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 10:56 PM EDT2013-05-26 02:56:13 GMT
(WMC-TV) - Four people were shot and one died at a nightclub in Clarksdale, Mississippi Saturday morning. The shooting happened in the 300 Block of West Tallahatchie Street at 12:03 a.m. John Wilson, 35,More >>
Four people were shot and one died at a nightclub in Clarksdale, Mississippi Saturday morning.More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 10:31 PM EDT2013-05-26 02:31:59 GMT
(WMC-TV) - Many around the Mid-South flock to Cooper-Young for its unique restaurants and atmosphere, but the shortage in parking spaces sends many patrons home with parking tickets. City leaders believeMore >>
Many around the Mid-South flock to Cooper-Young for its unique restaurants and atmosphere, but the shortage in parking spaces sends many patrons home with parking tickets.More >>
The number of injuries to young children caused by exposure to household cleaning products have decreased almost by half since 1990, but roughly 12,000 children under the age of 6 are still being treated in U.S. emergency rooms every year for these types of accidental poisonings, a new study finds.
Bleach was the cleaning product most commonly associated with injury (37.1 percent), and the most common type of storage container involved was a spray bottle (40.1 percent). In fact, although rates of injuries from bottles with caps and other types of containers decreased during the study period, spray bottle injury rates remained constant, the researchers reported.
"So many household products are sold in spray bottles these days, because for cleaning purposes they're really easy to use," said study author Lara B. McKenzie, a principal investigator at Nationwide Children's Hospital's Center for Injury Research and Policy. "But spray bottles don't generally come with child-resistant closures, so it's really easy for a child to just squeeze the trigger."
McKenzie added that young kids are often attracted to a cleaning product's pretty label and colorful liquid, and may mistake it for juice or vitamin water. "If you look at a lot of household cleaners in bottles these days, it's actually pretty easy to mistake them for sports drinks if you can't read the labels," added McKenzie, who is also assistant professor of pediatrics at Ohio State University. Similarly, to a young child, an abrasive cleanser may look like a container of Parmesan cheese.
Researchers at Nationwide Children's Hospital examined national data on roughly 267,000 children aged 5 and under who were treated in emergency rooms after injuries with household cleaning products between 1990 and 2006. During this time period, 72 percent of the injuries occurred in children between the ages of 1 and 3 years.
The findings were published online Aug. 2 and will appear in the September print issue of Pediatrics.
To prevent accidental injuries from household products, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends storing poisonous substances in locked cabinets and out of sight and reach of children, buying products with child-resistant packaging, keeping products in their original containers, and properly disposing of leftover or unused products.
"This study just confirms how often these accidents still happen, how disruptive they can be to health, and how expensive they are to treat," said Dr. Robert Geller, medical director of the Georgia Poison Control Center in Atlanta. "If you consider that the average emergency room visit costs at least $1,000, you're looking at almost $12 million a year in health-care costs," he explained.
"Often a young child gets exposed to these kinds of products when someone is cleaning, and leaves a bottle open on the counter because they're in the middle of using it," said Geller, who is also a professor of pediatrics at Emory University School of Medicine. "So a good reminder is to always close the product completely after using it, even if you plan to open it again in a few minutes."
That scenario is almost exactly what happened to 1-year-old Keegan Ensign, who was treated at Nationwide's emergency department earlier this year. "It was one of the first nice days in May, and we were all outside playing on the driveway," said Keegan's mother, Tamara Ensign, 29, a mother of three in Lewis Center, Ohio. "I had a bottle of dish soap out because the kids wanted to play car wash, and I set it down on the pavement and turned my back for just a second. When I turned back around, Keegan was holding the bottle and wailing."
Although Keegan's mother didn't think he had swallowed very much of the soap, she called poison control because he was coughing and wheezing a lot. Concerned that he might have aspirated some of the cleaner into his lungs, the poison control official advised Ensign to take Keegan to the hospital.
Thankfully, doctors there determined that the toddler's lungs were clear and his oxygen levels were fine, and he completely recovered, but Ensign said the incident was a harsh wake-up call. "Inside the house, I've always been good about keeping everything in a locked cabinet, but because we were outside in a different setting, it didn't cross my mind until it was too late."
McKenzie says if you don't want to keep spray bottles locked up, you should at least turn the nozzle to the closed position, which makes it a lot harder for a curious toddler to grab it and squeeze.
Parents who suspect their child has come in contact with a poison should immediately contact the Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222, which will direct callers to their local Poison Center. If a child is unconscious, not breathing, or having seizures, they should call 9-1-1.
Friday, May 24 2013 10:57 PM EDT2013-05-25 02:57:13 GMT
(WMC-TV) - The Tipton County Sheriff's Office found 32-year-old Michael Olin Holland, Jr.'s motorcycle Friday afternoon. No reports indicate that Holland was found. Holland was last seen Wednesday morning. AccordingMore >>
Investigators recovered 32-year-old Michael Olin Holland, Jr.'s body near the Covington airport Friday night.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 8:43 PM EDT2013-05-25 00:43:43 GMT
(WMC-TV) - A woman is dead and her husband is being questioned by police. The woman was reportedly shot in a domestic altercation on the 600 block of Hamilton Street in Orange Mound. Action News 5's JustinMore >>
A woman is dead and her husband is being questioned by police.More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 5:35 PM EDT2013-05-25 21:35:53 GMT
The Shelby County Health Department has issued a Code Orange Ozone Alert for Saturday, May 25, 2013. On this day, MATA will offer 25 cent fares on bus, MATAplus and trolley rides. Seniors 65 yearsMore >>
Saturday, May 25, 2013, MATA will offer 25 cent fares on bus, MATAplus and trolley rides.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 10:58 PM EDT2013-05-25 02:58:47 GMT
(WMC-TV) - Club 152 on Beale Street has been given the OK to reopen. A judge gave the club owners permission to open the doors Friday afternoon. Since the closure, the owners have conducted backgroundMore >>
A judge gave the club owners permission to open the doors Friday afternoon.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 11:32 PM EDT2013-05-25 03:32:50 GMT
(WMC-TV) - If you were not able to get a ticket to the Grizzlies matchup against the Spurs Saturday, you have one last chance to get your hands on one. The Memphis Grizzlies announced it will release aMore >>
If you were not able to get a ticket to the Grizzlies matchup against the Spurs Saturday, you have one last chance to get your hands on one.More >>
Friday, February 15 2013 11:51 PM EST2013-02-16 04:51:21 GMT
(WMC-TV) - Scientists at Ole Miss are generating a lot of buzz thanks to the creation of a new pain killer -- made with marijuana. Ole Miss is home to the nation's only legally grown marijuana operation.More >>
Scientists at Ole Miss are generating a lot of buzz thanks to the creation of a new pain killer -- made with marijuana.More >>
Click here to see how much you would take home depending on which state you bought your winning lottery ticket in. BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Millions of people try their luck on big lottery games likeMore >>
Millions of people try their luck on big lottery games like Powerball every week. We wonder what the odds actually are that you'll choose the winning combinations. WAFB's Keitha Nelson talks with an expert on numbers.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 6:45 PM EDT2013-05-23 22:45:01 GMT
(WMC-TV) - A baby fights to survive at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in critical condition after being hit by an SUV with his mother behind the wheel, according to police. An orange circle marks the pointMore >>
A baby fights to survive at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in critical condition after being hit by an SUV with his mother behind the wheel, according to police.More >>