Sanitation workers stuck with improperly disposed needles - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Sanitation workers stuck with improperly disposed needles

Posted: Updated:
  • News on WMCTV.comNewsMore>>

  • Several homes evacuated due to gas main break

    Several homes evacuated due to gas main break

    Friday, April 18 2014 2:20 PM EDT2014-04-18 18:20:34 GMT
    (WMC-TV) – Memphis Fire Department is on the scene of a gas main break in the 1500 block of Carr Avenue, near South Willet Street in Midtown. Eight homes are being evacuated. This break happened aroundMore >>
    Some Midtown residents were forced out of their homes Friday morning when natural gas started leaking into their neighborhood.More >>
  • MPD officer charged with sexual battery

    MPD officer charged with sexual battery

    Friday, April 18 2014 2:09 PM EDT2014-04-18 18:09:58 GMT
    (WMC-TV) – An officer with the Memphis Police Department is charged with sexual battery that stemmed from events that happened during a traffic stop on February 11. While on duty, MPD Officer Meekos Evans,More >>
    An officer with the Memphis Police Department is charged with sexual battery that stemmed from events that happened during a traffic stop on February 11.More >>
  • Police investigate Friday morning armed robbery

    Police investigate Friday morning armed robbery

    Friday, April 18 2014 1:36 PM EDT2014-04-18 17:36:29 GMT
    (WMC-TV) – Memphis police were called to reports of a shooting in the 1700 block of Latham Street, near the intersection of Preston Street. The call came in around 6:30 a.m. on Friday. This happened atMore >>
    Memphis police were called to a robbery in the 1700 block of Latham Street, near the intersection of Preston Street. The call came in around 6:30 a.m. on Friday.More >>
PARAGOULD, AR -

(WMC-TV) - New this morning, two Mid-South Sanitation Department workers were stuck with used and improperly disposed needles in Paragould, Arkansas.

"And of all luck, a needle, didn't even have the plastic parts, just the needle, and it was a big one... it went completely through his boot and punctured his foot," said Keith Harvey, Safety Coordinator, Public Works Department.

The employees must have follow up tests at six months and a year to make sure they did not get a disease or infection.

Harvey said he wants people to understand just because they throw something in the trash, doesn't mean someone else won't have to handle it. He urges people dispose needles properly.

He recommends placing used needles in something like a hazmat container or even an old milk jug before throwing them out.

Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow