Code inspector saves Collierville family from possible fire - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Code inspector saves Collierville family from possible fire

Posted: Updated:
COLLIERVILLE, TN -

(WMC-TV) – A Mid-South family is grateful for the help of an inspector that possibly helped them from being burned alive.

Jackie Keller and her family moved into a Collierville home six months ago.

A few weeks ago the coil in the furnace had a leak so they replaced it.  But an inspector from code enforcement for the city of Collierville had to approve the work. 

"It could have burned the house down," said Keller.  "He came out and said I need a hole cut in your ceiling cause I can't see where the exhaust is venting."

She didn't think much of that.  But inspector David Stewart insisted.

Keller's husband Chris cut the hole and looked in.

"He about fell off the ladder because the exhaust pipe was sitting at an angle up inside in the attic space just spewing out carbon monoxide and charring the wood," Keller stated.

The furnace vent was not connected to the roof vent tube.

Keller doesn't know who installed it that way or if it was inspected.  But she is grateful despite her initial reservations that David Stewart stuck to his guns.

"He's awesome.  We're very thankful he did his job.  There should be more code people like him," stated Keller.

Unfortunately the Keller's had to pay for all of the work out of their pocket. They say their home warranty policy considered it a pre-existing problem.
 
Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow