Two firefighters injured following partial house collapse, fire - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Two firefighters injured following partial house collapse, fire

Posted: Updated:
When Memphis Fire crews arrived at the home there was heavy smoke coming from the inside. When Memphis Fire crews arrived at the home there was heavy smoke coming from the inside.
There was a partial collapse in the ceiling where two firemen were hurt by falling debris. There was a partial collapse in the ceiling where two firemen were hurt by falling debris.

(WMC-TV) - Two firemen were injured in a house fire after the ceiling partially collapsed Tuesday.

Crews were in Hickory Hill at Kirby Parkway and Kirby Center Cove around 6:15 p.m. when it happened. One firefighter was being treated for a leg injury on the scene.

One neighbor said the fire next door was an eye opener.

"I feel bad because nobody will expect to just come home or be at home and the fire house just caught on fire," said Cham. "It's a signal for me to make more inquiries about how to step up prevent."

When Memphis Fire crews arrived at the home there was heavy smoke coming from the inside.

"During our fire fighting procedures we located the fire around the attic chimney area," said Memphis Fire Department Lt. Wayne Cooke.

There was a partial collapse in the ceiling where two firemen were hurt by falling debris.

"One with a head injury, [and] one with neck and back injury," said Cooke.

The family got out in time but fire officials said this is a dangerous time of year when it comes down to heating homes.

"Dust can accumulate in an eleven month period. There's debris that can accumulate in your fireplaces or your furnaces or heating units. Have them inspected before you use them," said Cooke.

Cooke said they cannot stress enough how important it is to have smoke detectors in every home.

"These alarms will alert you and give you time to exit the structure prior to our arrival. Always have a plan of escape," said Cooke.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow