Thanksgiving Day house fire claims young mother’s life - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Thanksgiving Day house fire claims young mother’s life

Posted: Updated:
  • News on WMCTV.comNewsMore>>

  • Miss. officers rescue woman, granddaughter from lake

    Miss. officers rescue woman, granddaughter from lake

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:07 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:07:18 GMT
    (WMC-TV) – Two Olive Branch police officers are considered heroes Friday morning after jumping into a lake to save a woman and her 7-year-old granddaughter from their sinking van. Those officers took theirMore >>
    Two Olive Branch police officers are considered heroes Friday morning after jumping into a lake to save a woman and her 7-year-old granddaughter from their sinking van.More >>
  • Several homes evacuated due to gas main break

    Several homes evacuated due to gas main break

    Friday, April 18 2014 2:20 PM EDT2014-04-18 18:20:34 GMT
    (WMC-TV) – Memphis Fire Department is on the scene of a gas main break in the 1500 block of Carr Avenue, near South Willet Street in Midtown. Eight homes are being evacuated. This break happened aroundMore >>
    Some Midtown residents were forced out of their homes Friday morning when natural gas started leaking into their neighborhood.More >>
  • MPD officer charged with sexual battery

    MPD officer charged with sexual battery

    Friday, April 18 2014 2:09 PM EDT2014-04-18 18:09:58 GMT
    (WMC-TV) – An officer with the Memphis Police Department is charged with sexual battery that stemmed from events that happened during a traffic stop on February 11. While on duty, MPD Officer Meekos Evans,More >>
    An officer with the Memphis Police Department is charged with sexual battery that stemmed from events that happened during a traffic stop on February 11.More >>
LAFAYETTE COUNTY, MS -

(WMC-TV) – A deadly house fire in Lafayette County, Miss., claimed a young mother's life. The fire happened just outside Oxford in town called Yocona.

It was an unthinkable start to the family's Thanksgiving Day.

Smoke billowed from the mobile home where Laura Knox's daughter, Jashica, 22, died.

Laura Knox said, "She put her sisters through the window and helped them get out, she couldn't get out."

Flames broke out around 9 a.m. Thursday and investigators think a fire in the fireplace could be to blame. Jashica was visiting her family from out of town for Thanksgiving.

"When I heard her screaming in that fire, that's the part I can't stand," Jashica's grandmother, Bessa Oliver said.

One of Jashica's sisters that she helped rescue is recovering from burns at The MED in Memphis.

Their mother said, "I got one that hasn't even woke up yet, and I don't think she realizes her sister is gone."

Jashica was engaged and has a 1-year-old child, who will now grow up without his mother.

Knox said, "He's just precious, I hate that he's going to have to be without his mother, but he's got his grandmother. I'm going to watch out for him."

Jashica's grandmother says she can't wait to see her face again.

"One day Granny coming on, I'm going to be with Jesus, I hope she's there."

A couple of family members did everything they could to try and save Jashica from the burning home.

"My uncle Ray was beating on the wall with an axe and everybody was crying and I was wondering why nobody was helping him," said family member Rashod Sharp.

Knox was able to get her two younger sisters out through a window, but she was trapped inside.

"When I cut through the trailer it was too late, everything in the trailer and the bathroom had melted down," said family member Ray Scott.

Rashod Sharp told Action News 5's Michael Clark that the water heater started spewing out boiling water. He thinks he might have been able to do more if the heater hadn't busted.

"I actually got my hands cut trying to go in and get her but, I tried. I tried," Sharp said.

Knox was just in town visiting, but all of her family members live next to each other. Now they're trying to comfort one another as they prepare to bury the young mother.

The family lost everything in the fire and the blaze even spread to a few of the cars parked outside.

Friends came by Friday to bring clothes and donations to help the family.

The family is accepting donations at the house located at 89 County Road 436, in Yocona in Lafayette County.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.   

Powered by WorldNow