Memphis City Council waits for new rape kit testing policies - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Memphis City Council waits for new rape kit testing policies

Posted: Updated:
MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC-TV) – A new effort is underway to prevent future rape kits from being overlooked in the city of Memphis.

Memphis Councilman Kemp Conrad said, "I just want to ask a few questions in the executive order, the Mayor's order."

Memphis Councilman Conrad called for answers at Tuesday's council meeting to prevent a future backlog of rape kits.

Conrad said, "The Memphis Police Department shall maintain clear policies and procedures for prompt processing of all new sexual assault kits that may be collected as evidence from this day forward.

"That has been completed," said Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong.

Conrad was hoping for more answers and asked for a copy of the policies and procedures. Director Armstrong said that he would provide them.

So far, that document has not been released.

By phone Friday, Conrad said the city's progress on the rape kit debacle has been slow-going.

Conrad said, "I was hoping the administration would be further along than they were, based on the questions I was asking."

He says there's no time for finger pointing, and he sees some hope.

"We are working hard on the funding piece of this," said Councilman Conrad.

Memphis police told Action News 5's Kontji Anthony, they are unable to release the new policies and procedures manual right now due to some fine tuning.

Once those documents are ready we will let you know.

Get the latest from Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow